The leaf was a fascinating project. I wanted to make a dead leaf. So I took wire and taped cardboard to it. I cut out shapes of cardboard that matched each part of the leaf. I then used a wire to position it like it was crumbling in on itself. Then I applied layers of paper mache clay to resemble more of the folds and grooves of the leaf. I had to be careful to make sure every seam and edge were sealed with clay. Then after it set for a week with each layer applied, I painted it with various colors to resemble a dead leaf and shadows from the folds. Then it was sealed and applied to the pumpkin.
I really enjoyed this little addition. Just might repeat it.